February 12, 2013 by Kristen
As Valentine’s week continues, I present some “romantic” movie/tv lines and my commentary about them. I think they are meant to be romantic? I don’t see it that way.
1. “You should be kissed every day, every hour, every minute.” -The Lucky One
I did not see this movie solely because Zac Efron made this ridiculous statement in the trailer. Really? Sure you want to step up to the plate on that one, Zac Efron? What about in the bathroom? How about while she’s eating a steaming bowl of curry? During the 9-5 workday? If someone said this to me, I would immediately panic, as I have fears of death by drowning.
2. “You complete me.” -Jerry Maguire
No, no. You make my life better. I like hanging out. We both hate all the same things. People compliment and enrich lives—they don’t complete them.
3. “You are my life now.” -Twilight
Yikes. RUN! We’ve got a stage 5 clinger.
4. “I’m also just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love her.”-Notting Hill
I would venture to guess that many people like this classic line. However, a boy either loves you or he doesn’t. Do you really want to have to ask? So how does that play out? He begrudgingly says, “Okay…I guess…since you asked.” Do you have to keep asking? Is it one and done? Do you ask every day? Renew the love contract every few months?
5. “Okay, here it is, your choice… it’s simple, her or me, and I’m sure she is really great. But Derek, I love you, in a really, really big pretend to like your taste in music, let you eat the last piece of cheesecake, hold a radio over my head outside your window, unfortunate way that makes me hate you, love you. So pick me, choose me, love me.” -Grey’s Anatomy
I adored everything about this grand speech by Meredith Grey, up until the very end when she cried and begged him to love her. She should have gone the “take it or leave it” route; far more attractive than the ugly crying/begging combination.
Any terrible movie/tv lines you would like to add to the list?